20 Miles and a Few Coronas

Bonus points if you sang the title to the tune of “18 Wheels and a Dozen Roses.”

On Saturday, I met up with one of my running partners for the big 20 mile training run. Neither of us had ever run this far before, so it was a tad intimidating. Mentally, I had a lot of importance on this run.

We met at 7:30 at our usual training spot and started off the morning with our four mile loop. We stopped once to help a fellow runner with directions through the park; he was also training for Grandma’s and was already nine miles into his run. Then, we stopped again at a restroom because I needed a pit stop. Sometimes it takes a few miles to get into the rhythm of the run.

Once we returned to the parking lot, we headed out for a long out-and-back of approximately seven miles each way. This stretch was even less eventful.

When we made it back to the parking lot, we were definitely slowing down. It’s difficult mentally to get back to your starting point, only to head out yet again. We used the restrooms, refilled our water bottles, and headed out for a two-mile out-and-back.

Our last segment was definitely the slowest, with additional walk breaks and some little rolling hills that we didn’t have on the first two segments. Our muscles were tired and we were looking forward to stretching and having a snack.

The total mileage for the day was somewhere between 20 and 20.6 miles, since our GPS devices were reading a little differently; so, we kept going until both devices showed a distance of 20 miles or more. We finished up with a walk around the parking lot.

Upon returning to our cars, the first order of business was to get our running shoes off and our sandals on. Then, we headed over to a grassy area with our snacks and electrolytes, to stretch out. We also managed to get someone to take our picture to commemorate surviving our first 20 mile run, complete with smiles.

Surprisingly, it was a good run. Neither one of us had any pain, just general muscle soreness and fatigue. There weren’t any tears. Mentally, we’re both in a really good place regarding the marathon and are confident that we WILL finish this race.

I know I use the word “surprisingly” a lot when talking about this marathon journey, but I honestly went into it expecting misery. Training with my Moms on the Run ladies has been awesome and I wouldn’t be able to do this without them and my other running friends. When I use #LoveMyTeam in my tweets, I’m not kidding. I absolutely love this team of ladies!

The rest of my day was pretty normal for a Saturday. I was able to go to church and shopping with my husband, and relax with a few Coronas while watching Parks & Rec. No nap needed! Well, unless you count my long nap on Sunday afternoon.



This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.