I did a brief analysis today in an attempt to get my weight loss moving consisently again. I’ve been stalled out basically since May, other than fluctuations in the 4 lb. range. What I found was interesting. Here’s what has changed.
1. I was drinking protein shakes as meal replacements for 1-2 meals (usually lunch and/or dinner). I gave up the shakes completely when I was getting nauseous after drinking them. I’ve since learned that it was the brand of coffee/cappuccino flavoring I was using.
2. I was eating a snack during the day, generally at 11am or 3pm, depending on how I was feeling at work. I now rarely have a snack between meals.
3. I was drinking barely any water.
4. I was eating an average of 2,000 calories per day with lots of zig-zagging. Since around the time of my stall, I’ve been averaging 1700-1800 on days without exercise.
So what am I going to do with the information I’ve learned? I’m going to start experimenting to see if I can get things moving consistently again. I recently had my 1 year anniversary with MFP and have lost half of the weight I want to lose. Now, I’d like to lose the other half before my 2 year anniversary with MFP.
Here’s the plan:
1. Start using protein shakes as meal replacements for at least 1 meal, most likely breakfast since this is the hardest meal for me.
2. Pack healthy snacks so I can have one mid-morning and one mid-afternoon to keep the metabolism going. Fruit and veggies are key!
3. Keep drinking lots of water! This part I’ve since gotten much better at and I feel better overall when I’m well-hydrated.
4. Start eating closer to 2,000 calories a day (average) with zig-zagging. I think it’s especially important to eat enough calories now that I’m doing a weight lifting program.
5. Focus on the kinds of foods I eat and make an attempt to try eating clean(er). After all, it makes perfect sense but it does take some effort.
For a while, it’s going to be all about experimentation to see what works for me. As long as I have a plan, though, and know I can tweak it at any time I think it will be okay.